Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
From a Racked staffer waiting outside the store: "It's absolute mayhem. Street mostly impassable. No Stevie yet. YET. Staffers waiting, waving to crowd outside. Random sound bites from the crowd: 'It's just crazy out here,' 'Holy shit,' 'This thing is insane,' 'Everyone and their mother, and grandmother, and step mother once removed is here.' People not on line craning to see the action. Crowd cheers rising in volume. Like at a concert, the crowd seems to be cheering as if to WILL the store to open. Standby..."
UPDATE: "Security making an announcement. We are VERY CLOSE. No Jobs yet. Repeat, NO JOBS YET."
UPDATE: "10. 9. 8. 7. 6. 5. 4. 3. 2. 1. IT'S OPEN"
UPDATE: "Security letting everyone just pour in."
The staff, clapping
UPDATE: "People emerging clutching freebies."
Apple fans swarm the Meatpacking District store
UPDATE: "Now they're letting people in 25-30 at a time. It looks like everyone's getting a poster and AN IPOD."
Ain't she a beauty?
· iPacking District: Store Opens!!! [Racked]
· iPacking District 15-Minute Countdown: New Billboard Revealed! [Racked]
· iPacking District 30-Minute Countdown: Apple Warms 'Em Up with Free Tea! [Racked]
· iPacking District 45-Minute Countdown: Line Doubles to 3,000 [Racked]
· iPacking District 60-Minute Countdown: Stevie Brought Freebies! [Racked]
· iPacking District: Video of the Line (Be Very Afraid) [Racked]
· iPacking District: The Line [Racked]
· iPacking District: Rendering vs Reality [Racked]