Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
We were standing right by the front door when a huge cheer went up from the crowd at 5:44pm. Above our heads, and before our eyes, the old iPod ad on the twin billboards atop the building fell away, revealing a Now Open billboard to match Apple's promotional materials. Next up, no doubt: Jobs descends from the sky, greets his followers. We wouldn't put anything past them at this point.
LIVE UPDATED OPENING COVERAGE:
· iPacking District: Store Opens!!! [Racked]
· iPacking District 15-Minute Countdown: New Billboard Revealed! [Racked]
· iPacking District: Apple Warms 'Em Up with Free Tea! [Racked]
· iPacking District 45-Minute Countdown: Line Doubles to 3,000 [Racked]
· iPacking District 60-Minute Countdown: Stevie Brought Freebies! [Racked]
· iPacking District: The Line [Racked]
· iPacking District: Rendering vs Reality [Racked]