Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
It's time again for a little thing called Mo' Banks, in which we profile new checking and saving spots around town. If you've spotted another bank opening, let us know. And now, on to the banks!
Chase coming soon to 14th Street and Fifth Avenue. Photo Femia
1) Flatiron: Mo' Banks vet Chase is now rising in the space on 14th & 5th that used to belong to a florist. You can all thank Hope Consolo of Prudential Douglas Elliman for this one. [Racked Staff]
2) Williamsburg: As Brownstoner reports, Commerce Bank has its eye on 118-130 North 4th Street, which, if a developer gets his way, will be a brand-new residential development. "A few board members expressed reservations about the bank’s design (the phrase “it looks like a mall” was said several times), though at least one person noted that Williamsburg increasingly needs services like banks and supermarkets." [Brownstoner]
3) East Village: Do banks beget other banks? Jeremiah's Vanishing NY ponders that question after making note of the new Commerce location at 10th Street and Third Avenue in the East Village: "In the first floor of the new SVA dorm on 10th and 3rd, a bouncing baby Commerce welcomes itself to the neighborhood by papering its wall with a vintage photograph (or photorealist painting) of what looks like the Third Avenue El passing by St. Mark's Place circa 1950-something." [Jeremiah's Vanishing NY]
North Fork on the corner of Eighth Avenue and 17th Street. Photo Femia
4) Chelsea: Progress on the North Fork going in at Eighth Avenue and 17th Street in Chelsea has been incredibly slow. Sayeth Femia: "Walking through Chelsea is like one big long memory game of 'What used to be there?'" In this case, the former tenant was a laundromat. [Racked Staff]
5) East Village: More North Fork news: Taggers have dirtied the Fork on 10th Street and Second Avenue. A reader writes: "Went to sharaku sushi on 9th last night, after dinner the bank window was completely acid tagged..."graffiti is money." this is the bank branch with the enlarged graffiti photos under the teller windows...wish i took a pic!" [Racked Inbox]