Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
It's been a big year for New York City retail (and not just because Racked was born in March). This week, we'll relive the glorious highlights and gruesome lowlights. We've recapped the year's most ridiculous lines, saddest goodbyes and most menacing retail presences. Now, we're tackling the year's most notable Street Scenes.
This fall, Racked hit the streets and began snapping shots of New Yorkers across neighborhoods and boroughs. Since then, we've featured more than 50 Street Scenes subjects. Some of them exuded style, but others...missed the mark. The following are Racked readers' most popularly voted Street Scenes to date.
3) Tony Lee: Spotted on Doyers Street, the stylish gentlemen garnered an 85.1% Perfection! rating. Sample reader comment, "Tony Lee is the man, he looks like a cool grandpa."
2) Duilio: Duilio was shot walking the streets in Queens wearing duds from a time gone by. People loved the look, judging from his 85.4% Perfection! rating. Sample reader comment, "It's like he found his style in the 1970s, stuck with it despite the changing times, and now his look is 'in' again."
3) Satchel: It was a bit surprising to see two of the top three spots taken by older men, but the most-popular Street Scenes was a given. With a 91.6% Perfection! rating, the honor is held by the cute two-year-old we photographed in Soho. Sample reader comment, "He's adorable. That being said: 'Satchel'? Really?!"
Voting percentages were tallied, and to the following Street Sceners: Racked readers would like to know "Who did this to you?"
3) Andrew: The third-most unfavorably-rated Street Scenes subject was the first person to ever be photographed for the feature. With a 79.5% WDTTY? rating, it's clear that his black-and-white ensemble didn't capture your hearts.
2) Ivan: Ivan's 'manpris' were probably the most egregious offense to readers, who gave him a 83.9% WDTTY? rating.
1) Shannon: People really disliked Shannon's colorful, eclectic garb, with 85.1% of Racked readers asking 'Who did this to you?'
Racked staffer's picks for best Street Scenes:
Editor Leslie Price: I really enjoyed Lorinya's look. It was simple, but the contrast between the soft pink sweater and her tattoos was an unexpected detail that really made the getup pop.
Contributor Rebecca Prusinowski: I really like Paola and Clark. Paola put together a look that was understated and cool, and she used affordable pieces from places like American Apparel and H&M to do it. Clark's jeans are verging on Kings-of-Leon-too-tightness, but overall, he is looking fine. The shoes are amazing, and he has the confidence to pull off the whole look, which is most important.
Photographer Daniel Krieger: Tony Lee is the man. He's a cool old guy who had been around the world and just has a confident charm about him.