Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Looking back at the events of yesterday, a few things become clear. First, Roberto Cavalli has somewhat of a following. Second, people will undergo efforts of herculean proportions to get their hands on almost anything that is heavily advertised as "limited edition," especially if there is some sort of celebrity tie-in. The fact that women were whacking each other with hangers in order to be able to pay good money for junk such as what you see above is a testament to the skill of Cavalli's and H&M's marketing team. Because if you encountered such an item while on a stroll through the retailer's stores any other day, it would probably be hanging forlornly on a rack with about 30 more just like it, untouched.
This dress was $349. It was also see-through.
This is the men's underwear section! Good god.
· Oh, Roberto: The Complete And Utter Madness [Racked]
· Oh, Roberto: Cavalli Greeting His Fans [Racked]
· Oh, Roberto: Jessica Stam Is Happy, Somewhat Vacant [Racked]
· Oh, Roberto: We're Inside! 'Bitch, I'm Gonna Cut You!' [Racked]
· Oh, Roberto: 'Line is Moving,' T-Minus 15 Minutes [Racked]
· Oh, Roberto: The Pre-Opening Madness [Racked]