Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Above, the scene just after 12pm today at the stationary area of Muji. It didn't take long for shoppers to figure out that snapping up a 2008 calendar or day-planner is the easiest, cheapest way to score one of the free Muji bags. But holy mother of Muji, the place is packed to the absolute gills and there's no way the bag supply can hold out... is there? Color that question developing...
Meantime, Racked chatted up a who's who of cool New York. Chef Matt Birnbaum, late of Pinch on Park Avenue South, was unloading a basket of ceramicware with his wife. Stefan Boublil, the man behind design firm/design blog The Apartment, had his Garrison List with him (more on that shortly). And of course a who's who in the web world, from ür-developer Jesse Chan-Norris to every self-respecting New York blogger under the sun. Herewith, the linkage from across the Interwebs thus far; more links to firstname.lastname@example.org, please.
· Muji Stalker: The Scene Right Now [Apartment Therapy]
· Muji Opens Today in Soho [Gothamist]
· Muji Opens Today in NYC [PSFK]
· Minimalist Porn: Muji Store Opens in Soho [SciFi.com]
Above, the check-out line. But will the Muji bags last?!
Racked's all-day, wall-to-wall Muji coverage:
· Show Me the Muji!: Muji Bags for Everyone!
· Show Me the Muji!: The First Restock! [Racked]
· Show Me the Muji!: CB2 Absorbes Muji's Overflow [Racked]
· Show Me the Muji!: Everyone's at Muji [Racked]
· Show Me The Muji!: And The Public Goes Wild! [Racked]
· Show Me The Muji!: The Doors Are Open! [Racked]
· Show Me the Muji!: Scenes from the Press Preview [Racked]